Open Application Period: 1 December – 28 February annually
OPEN HOUSE events are to be scheduled for December, January, and February annually.
Southern Wake Academy (SWA) admits students without regard to race, sex, disabilities, color, religion, or national or ethnic origin. All students who live in North Carolina are eligible to apply for admission. Families provide transportation for SWA students.
In accordance with state charter school law, siblings will be given admission priority as follows:
- Current SWA students and/or siblings of SWA graduates;
- Children of any staff member or board member; and
- Siblings of newly accepted applicants during the lottery process.
Each sibling must complete and submit an application in order to be considered for admission.
- Prospective students are to submit a completed application for admission to SWA during the Open Application Period to be considered for the following school year. SWA will accept applications during the Open Application Period by mail or those brought to the school.
- As applications arrive, the Director’s designee will record on each application a Lottery Identification Number and the date received. Applications arriving during the Open Application Period will be placed into the lottery application pool. Applications arriving after the Open Application Period will be assigned to a “Waiting List” category.
- The annual lottery dates will be published on the SWA website each year.
- Prior to the lottery, the administration will determine the number of students to be accepted, using the following priority order:
- Total number of students for the school;
- Total number of students for the middle school;
- Total number of students for the high school;
- Total number of students in each grade level or program.
- The school administration will ask all current students/families to return an “Intent to Return” form to help determine the number of available slots for the following year.
- On an announced date each March, the Director’s designee will randomly draw Lottery Identification Numbers corresponding to the numbers assigned during a public lottery until all slots have been filled in each grade level.
- Once slots are filled, the administration will file remaining applications in numerically sequential order to be followed in filling any future available slots.
- Applications for siblings of students accepted will be given priority as noted above.
- Upon completion of the lottery selection process, results will be posted on the SWA website.