Southern Wake Academy has a dress code that ensures all students are dressed in a manner that promotes school pride and presents a positive impression in the community during internships, job-shadowing activities, and community service projects. As a condition of being enrolled at SWA, students agree to comply with the dress code and are, thus, expected to follow it daily. Students arriving at school in non-compliant clothing will be asked to return home to change. The code is as follows:
SWA DRESS CODE
- “Dockers or Cargo”-style dress pants in black, navy, or khaki; solid colors only.
- Sweat pants, tights, leggings, and denim (of any type or color) are not acceptable school uniform wear.
- Pants must fit appropriately (cannot sag below the waist line).
Skirts and Shorts
- Skirts and shorts (“docker or cargo style”) must be knee length or longer in black, navy, or khaki; solid colors only.
- Skirts must still be knee-length even with leggings or tights worn underneath.
- Polo-type shirts must have the school emblem and are to be purchased from the designated uniform vendor.
- Solid-colored hoodies or sweatshirts are allowed in the following colors: black, gray, navy, charcoal, royal blue and must bear the SWA emblem.
- No other jackets or sweaters are allowed in the school building.
- Winter jackets and coats are not to be worn in the school building unless they are specifically listed above. Students must hang their non-uniform outerwear in a classroom or carry it with them throughout the day. No exceptions!
- SWA staff is not responsible for lost or stolen outerwear. Please keep up with non-uniform outerwear if you choose to wear it before/after school.
Head Wear and Sunglasses
- Head wear and sunglasses are not to be worn in the school building (includes toboggans, visors, baseball caps, or other distracting head wear). Inappropriate head wear will be confiscated.
Hair, Makeup and Piercings
- Hair must be a “natural” color (green, pink, blue, purple, etc. are not acceptable.)
- Makeup must look natural and not distracting to the learning environment.
- Facial piercings need to be small studs, no ‘hoops’ anywhere on the face. No excessively large gauge earrings (no spikes). This is for the safety of all our students and staff.
- must be closed toes—no flip-flops/sandals
- tennis shoes are acceptable
- P.E. Uniform may be purchased from Lands’ End or elsewhere, but must be to code: a solid black T shirt no logo, solid black T shirt with logo and/or an SWA Spirit Wear shirt (NO club or field trip T shirts) and dark gray and/or black athletic pants and/or knee length shorts.
- Students must change into standard uniform before returning to the classroom!
**All attire requiring the SWA Logo MUST be purchased through our approved uniform vendor, Lands’ End. Skirts, pants, and shorts can be purchased anywhere as long as they meet length and material requirements. **
Dress Down Days
Occasionally – either for a fundraiser or for a fun break from routine – we may schedule “dress down days” at school. Rules for the correct attire on these days are posted at the school. Some dress down days are part of “Spirit Week” and the specific requirements for dress will be communicated. A dress down day uses the following rules for appropriate dress:
- Apparel cannot have vulgar or tasteless statements on them.
- Clothing cannot be revealing or provocative in any way.
Team members are allowed to dress up with more dressy attire in lieu of their uniform: shirt/blouse or shirt/tie for their game attendance.