- Advisory 8:00-8:30
- Period 1 8:33-9:20
- Period 2 9:23-10:00
- Period 3 10:13-11:00
- Period 4 11:03-11:50
- Period 5 11:53-12:50 *Lunch
- Period 6 12:53-1:40
- Period 7 1:43-2:35
Quarter 1: October 26-October 27
Quarter 2: January 11-January 12
Quarter 3: March 15-March 16
Quarter 4: June 5-June 6
How do I set up my portfolio?
- 3” 3 ring binder
- It will be for your entire middle school career, so you need the room!
- Sheet protectors
- Your papers will not get destroyed
- Helps you stay organized and swiftly move through the conference
Setting it up:
- Make sure you separate your binder into different sections. Below is an example of how students in the past have set up their binder with divided sections. You can set it up however you would like.
- Social Studies
- Interims/Report Card/Attendance record
- Volunteer data sheets/reflections
- Advisory assignments
- Other awards, recognitions, etc.
What do I do with the stuff from the last portfolio conference?
- You have options.
- Move it to the back of the binder in an organized area.
- Move it to the back of the section (i.e. Math, Advisory assignments, etc.)
How will I use my portfolio?
- To organize important information, especially work that you’re proud of. You will use your portfolio to share your work with your family at a student-led conference each quarter.
- To improve yourself in a variety of ways. It will teach you organization, allow you to recognize your strengths and identify weaknesses and improve your public speaking skills.
Planning a Student-Led Conference
What is a student-led conference?
The student-led conference is your chance to share your progress this year with your advisory and your family. You’ll use the portfolio to answer these questions:
- What have I accomplished in school this year
- What do I want to do in the future
- Who am I? How do I contribute?
The student-led conference is truly student-led: that means YOU are in charge. It’s up to you to prepare well, introduce your family and advisory, lead the discussion, answer questions and conclude the conference.
How will the student-led conference work?
Here is a checklist of what you’ll need to do before and during the conference.
- Plan what you want to say. Using the portfolio checklist, plan what you want to say during your conference and what you want to show from your portfolio.
- Practice, practice, practice! You’ll have some time in advisory to organize your binder, but you may need to organize it on your own. You will need to practice on your own!
- Dress and behave appropriately. Plan to wear your school uniform as a minimum.
- Be prompt and prepared. Make sure you arrive on time for your conference with everything you need with you.
- Be polite. Introduce your guests to your advisor. Make sure to thank them for attending.
- Be passionate. This conference is your chance to share who you are and what you want to get out of school. Make eye contact, and don’t be monotone!
- Have fun. You are talking to your family and teacher. You talk to them every day. Enjoy it and don’t be nervous.