Advisor: Sarah Whitney
Meeting Dates and Time: Tuesday, 2:45-3:45
Open to: Invited 10-12th graders
Fees: $15 annually; seniors pay an additional $10 for Beta Club tassel and cord
About: Southern Wake Academy’s Beta Club is a member of The National Beta Club, which is committed to recognizing and promoting high academic achievement, rewarding and nurturing worthy character, fostering leadership skills, and encouraging service to others. The SWA Beta Club is dedicated to these same goals, and SWA’s honor roll students are invited to join. The National Beta Club is the largest independent, non-profit, educational youth organization in the United States.
It is an honor to be a member of the Beta Club, and participating students gain preparation for lifelong education and careers, leadership, and service to others. Many of this nation’s leaders were members of The National Beta Club.
This club meets every other week and lives up to the national organization’s motto: Let Us Lead by Serving Others. SWA Beta Club activities have included exploring college admissions and providing community service, such as food, clothing, and book drives.
Southern Wake Academy Named National Beta School of Distinction
National Beta is proud to announce Southern Wake Academy as a 2017-2018 National School of Distinction. This award is an honor for Beta Chapters striving towards academic achievement, exemplary character, demonstrated leadership and service to others. With an ongoing quest to instill these qualities in more students, the National Beta School of Distinction Award is designed to award those schools that show an increase in membership for the current school year.
Requirements to Join:
Joining our club of the National Beta Club is an honor and privilege that must be earned. Students must have a GPA of 3.5 or higher to be invited to join. Once in the club, they must:
- Maintain that average;
- Attend at least seven out of ten meetings (we will have about 20);
- Attend at least one group event off campus (this may be after school or on a weekend); and
- Accumulate at least 10 hours of community service over and above the 30 required for advisory.
Additional benefits to students who are members of The National Beta Club include:
- Certificate of membership
- Membership card
- Membership lapel pin
- Window decal
- Recognition for achievement in a prestigious national organization
- Opportunity to attend and compete at state and national conventions (where available)
- Opportunity to attend the Beta Broyhill Leadership Conference
- Opportunity to attend a National Beta Club State Leadership Academy (where available)
- Opportunity to be nominated for over $250,000 in National Beta Club college scholarships (for graduating seniors)
- SchoolTube access (a free, safe media sharing website)
- Letters of recommendation (for Beta Alumni)
- Subscription to BetaZone (exclusive, interactive website for Beta members only)
The National Beta Club web site is located at: www.betaclub.org